Numerous Roman Catholics and other Christians celebrate All Saints Day on November 1 every year to remember all the saints of the church who are thought to have attained paradise. Here is a look at the background and customs of this sacred event.
History of The Day
Early Christians were persecuted by the Roman Empire, and many of them died for their faith; as a result, the Church set aside particular days to remember them. For instance, in 607, Emperor Phocas gave the pope the stunning Roman Pantheon temple. To dedicate the Pantheon to “all saints” who had perished as a result of Roman persecution in the first three hundred years following the birth of Christ, the pope destroyed the statues of Jupiter and other pagan deities.
Numerous bones were collected from other cemeteries and deposited in the Pantheon church, which had been rededicated. There were too many martyrs for each to receive their day, so they were all combined into one. Pope Gregory III altered All Saints Day to the current date of November 1 in the next century. They observed as they prepared for their celebration on All Hallows’ Eve or Halloween (possibly because of the strong holdover influence of the Celtic Samhain festival, which many Christians in Ireland, Britain, Scotland, and Wales had continued to observe).
Happy All Saints Day Quotes 2023
- Leave sadness to those in the world. We who work for God should be light-hearted. – Saint Leonard of Port Maurice
- Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything turned on you. – St. Augustine.
- Our Lord loves you and loves you tenderly; and if He does not let you feel the sweetness of His love, it is to make you more humble and abject in your own eyes. – St. Pio of Pietrelcino
- Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you! – St. Augustine
- You cannot be half a saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all. – St. Therese of Lisieux
- Love God, serve God; everything is in that. – St. Clare of Assisi
- God creates out of nothing. Wonderful you say. Yes, to be sure, but he does what is still more wonderful: he makes saints out of sinners. – Soren Kierkegaard
- Be at peace with your own soul, then heaven and earth will be at peace with you. – Isaac of Nineveh
Pope Gregory III, who ruled from 731 to 741 AD, set the current date of November 1 when he erected a chapel in Rome’s St.
Peter’s Basilica in honor of all saints.
Happy All Saints Day Wishes Messages 2023
- Celebrate the Holiness today because it is All Saints’ Day 2023.
- God has promised to give us our land and those promised blessings. Get ready for those on this All Saints’ Day.
- There are some saints whom we follow daily and with their holiness let our lives flourish.
- May all the Saints make your burden light and the blessings heavy!
- Wish all good for those whom you keep in your prayers every day.
- We should believe that we all have been made to be saints. Saints can be at your home! Have a blessed Saints’ Day!
- The Bible will help you to walk in the footsteps of Jesus and help you become a saint!
- It is not an ordinary day, but a blessed and Holy day to receive and pray for blessings.
Happy All Saints Day Wishes for 2023:
- Let us remember all the saints today and pray for their guidance to lead a life like theirs!
- You cannot do a great thing by yourself. You will need the help of the Lord. Never hesitate to thank God and ask for his help.
- May the wisdom of God lead us to salvation…
- Pray and you will receive! Let our prayers be strong enough to see many more saints from this world!
- When you value the word of God, no one can distract you from being a saint.
- In this world, it is difficult to survive without the guidelines of a saint.
- Every step we take in our life should lead to God and provide happiness to our neighbors.
- Let’s say, ‘we belong to Jesus’. Every saint had this on their tongue.
Observances in different countries
All Saints’ Day is honored publicly in many nations, while it is not a federal holiday in the US. People do not report to work on Mondays and companies are closed in France and Germany. The purpose of All Saints Day, also known as “Undas” in places like the Philippines, is to honor and show homage to deceased loved ones. This is typically done with prayers, flowers, and good offerings.
Holiday customs for All Saints
While there are many different All Saints Day customs around the world, family celebrations and remembering the deceased are the universal threads. The most typical All Saints Day custom in the Catholic Church is going to mass.
Many people show respect and commemorate those who have passed on to paradise by visiting the graves of loved ones and relatives. Families often bring a feast featuring the deceased’s favorite delicacies to visit gravesites in Latino neighborhoods. In Italy, family members bake and share bread on All Saints Day.
Message About Happy All Saints Day 2023
- “You are the one who fills up my life with joy and peace. Happy All Saints Day.”
- “Happy Feast Day! May Mother Mary always give you the strength to confront life’s obstacles?”
- “May the blessings of Mother Mary be present in your life to make it more lovely. Happy Feast Day 2023”
- “Wishing you a very Happy All Saints Day. May God grant you greater strength and positivity.”
- “On All Saints Day, remember and pray for all the departed souls.”
- “love, and peace. Happy All Saints Day, dearest friend.”
- “On this special occasion of All Saints’ Day, I send my best greetings to you and your family!”
- “Take my warm wishes on All Saints Day, my friend. On this religious occasion, I pray that the holy souls of the Saints always bless you.”